Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Workouts


Even though our  little man has been rocking our world for almost 9 months I have yet to develop a rock solid fitness plan. Creating a fool-proof schedule is a tad more challenging than I had previously anticipated. Just when we start to get a routine down...BAM! The Finnster shakes things up and reminds us who's the <em>real</em> boss in our house. However, I'm liking how things are going lately. We have transitioned to two naps, one around 9:30 am and an afternoon nap around 2:00. This has resulted in longer naps that range from 45 to 90 minutes. We are still waking once or twice during the night for feeds but I just can't bring myself to let him cry it out. We tried this method once or twice but one of us always caves as soon as the whiny cry turns to a agitated scream. And last night he started pulling himself up in the crib so I feel it would be even harder to do now as he fights harder to keep himself awake.

Back to workouts...

I'm excited to announce that I have lost all my baby weight, plus a few extra pounds. However, throughout the pregnancy experience I lost muscle tone and want to work on becoming less "squishy." On work days, I'm awake at 5:00 am and am simply not willing to get up any earlier. After work, I spend 30-45 minutes traveling home, pump, clean up a bit and then head to daycare to pick up our little guy by 5:00. Once we get home, it's time to play, cook dinner, eat, play, take a bath, and get the little one ready for bed. He's usually asleep by 7:30-8:30. Afterwards, this Mama is exhausted and just wants to spend a few hours relaxing with the bigger love of my life. Hmmm, are these just excuses? Probably. On my days off, I try to fit in a few quick workouts usually adding up to 20-30 minutes and on the weekends I pump up the intensity by attending a few classes at my gym. Yes, looking at this, I admit that I could be better and am going to try. The hubby is done with tax season in April and until then I will do my best.

As mamas, we forget to take care of ourselves but bump yourself back up towards the top of the list. Start small and do whatever works for you. If you can't realistically work in an hour workout, start with 20 minutes. One thing that helps me bust a few groovy moves during the day is the Skimble Workout Trainer app. I only have the free version of the app and there are still tons of workout options. I love the videos that range from 5-20 minutes because they are easy to fit into my day during naps or while playing with my little one. If you haven't tried this app yet, check it out! I bet you'll love it! Now get out there and shake it, dancing queen! We can do this! We deserve to be healthy and the best versions of ourselves. I would wish you good luck, but you don't need it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...