Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Massaged Kale Salad

I studied nutrition in school and currently work as a dietetic technician at a children's hospital. At home, I love to experiment in the kitchen, plan meals, and have an impressive collection of cookbooks. Basically, my life revolves around food. This is why  I feel like a total cliche when I say kale is one of my favorite foods but...it's true! I love the beautiful, emerald hue it adds to dishes and its distinct flavor in everything from green smoothies to soups. Not to mention its impressive nutritional lineup. Kale is high in vitamins A,C and K.  It's also bursting with cancer-fighting antioxidants, yet only has 35 calories per cup. Do I even need to go on? 

If you're looking for a nutritious and tasty salad to impress your foodie friends then give this recipe a try. A friend from work shared this recipe with me after I devoured a few large servings at one of our monthly potlucks. Have I mentioned how much I love working with a bunch of food lovers?? We have the BEST potlucks! Without further delay, here is one of my favorite ways to prepare a fresh bundle of kale. 


Massaged Kale Salad


Keywords: side salad vegetarian
Ingredients
  • 1 bunch of kale
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup apple, diced
  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons unfiltered apple cider vinegar
  • 1/3 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
Instructions
De-stem the kale by pulling or cutting leaves away from the tough stems. Wash leaves and spin or pat dry.

Stack leaves, roll up and cut into thin ribbons. Put kale in a large mixing bowl, add sea salt and massage it into the kale with hands for 2 minutes.

Stir onion, cranberries, diced apple and toasted sunflower seeds into the kale. Dress with oil and vinegar.

Taste for salt and vinegar, adding more if necessary. When at desired flavoring, add the cheese crumbles.

This salad will keep for several days in the refrigerator and still be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...