Saturday, August 3, 2013

Zucchini Apple Spice Muffins

During the past few weeks I've become well aware of the fact that I'm not great at following restrictions, especially when it comes to food. :) But you know what, that's absolutely OK! Life shouldn't be all about restrictions. It's not about being perfect. It's not about quitting and eating every thing in the house when you have had a tough day. I understand each person has a different relationship with food. But to me, food is there to nourish, strengthen, and enjoy. I don't count calories on a daily basis. Instead I try to eat real, whole foods and eat a variety of colors. I love to cook and try new foods. And with my nutrition background, you can see how this is fun for me. 

With that being said, there are times when I feel my system needs a break from certain foods. The culprit is often sugar, and I'll plan a detox or cleanse where I eliminate the trouble food. Lately, I've also been experimenting with my macronutrient intake percentages to try to determine when my body feels the best. I'm currently attempting to consume less carbohydrates while increasing my intake of healthy fats and protein. I'm not eliminating grains altogether, but contemplating the following ideas:  
  • How does my body react after consuming foods high in gluten?
  • How satisfied am I after a meal high in carbs vs. one that is higher in healthy fats/proteins?
  • Do I crave more sweets when I eat a higher percentage of carbs?
  • How does my body deal with consuming different types of meat? 
The general guidelines for macronutrients are 60% carbohydrates, 25% fat and 15% protein. Does this work for everyone? I highly doubt it. We each have to experiment and listen to our bodies to conclude the best combination for ourselves. 

Anyways, while trialing this new way of eating I decided to scour the internet for a tasty muffin recipe that would please not only my carb-craving tastebuds, but also fool my hubby and son into thinking they were eating the same old wheat-based muffins I usually make. I must admit that I was quite skeptical of this flour-less recipe from PaleOMG, but with such an impressive ingredient list, I had to try it. Boy, am I glad I did. These. Are. Gooood. The little one scarfed down his and loudly exclaimed, "Moh Moh" (which means more, for those of you that don't speak baby) before I could even get a picture of mine. Speaking of pictures, I need to remember to purchase a new SD card for my camera. All of my food pics have been with my phone lately.




Zucchini Apple Spice Muffins

by Danielle Anderson
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (9 muffins)
  • 1 medium zucchini, shredded (about 1 cup worth)
  • 1 apple, shredded (less than 1/2 cup worth)
  • 1 cup nut butter ( I used half almond and half peanut)
  • 1/4 cup raw honey
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice ( I substituted pumpkin pie spice)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Shred the zucchini (you can leave the peel on, I did!) in a food processor with the shredder attachment, or do it by hand with a cheese grater.
  3. Next, you will need to remove the liquid from the zucchini. I dumped my zucchini on a stack of paper towels and squeezed, replacing paper towels as necessary, until no more liquid came out.
  4. Place zucchini in a bowl.
  5. Shred the apple and toss with the zucchini.
  6. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
  7. Place muffin mix in greased muffin tin, or use a liner.
  8. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean after you poke them.
Powered by Recipage




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...